- Really cheap so when they break you can afford a spare .
- Really low profile and can be used to find the top of materials
- They are battery operated and use “ohmic” sensing.
- They have no over-travel sensor/detection
- You have to slide the touch plate under the spindle and clip an alligator lead on the tool (router motors and spindle shave no way to connect tot he tool / chuck side from the body)
- You need to carefully jog down and make the touch in case it misses to not damage the sensor plate or (worse) break your tool.bit)
- It’s not possible to use this in any type of automated or semi-automated tool change .
What about the “real Tool Setters you see advertised on EBAY for 40 to 80 bucks? They work. Most have over-travel sensors (although its not listed in the description) . They are pretty well made and are water resistant and even come with a little air blower thing to blow the dust off the top (if you have shop air and a regulator) . The primary problems are they are made in China , have poor instruction manuals and they are 75mm tall! Right at 3 inches!. That can create problems with a longer bit and routers with limited Z travel.
Enter the LPTS form CandCNC.
It’s designed to be used with routers and rotary tools . It’s just a little over 1 3/8″ tall . Plastic case is water resistant and has a rather large touch area for its size. It uses highly sensitive piezo touch technology for the primary sensor that trips with a few grams of down force . One shot pulse prevents bounce rejiggers and missed triggers . Solid mechanical Over-travel hooks to ESTOP input and prevents breaking the sensor , the tool, and your wallet.
Ships with 20 ft cable setup with color coded crimp ferrules . Hookup instructions and and a human that speaks fluent English (although with the Texas accent) will answer a call.
Want a better Deal? Order it with our ISS-05 No-Stall Spindle Speed or any of the Router Controller bundles and save BIG!
NO PHONE SUPPORT FOR NON-CANDCNC applications. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CNC MILLS . REQUIRES SOURCE OF 12V